Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes

/ Sep 10, 2011 /


Today has been so wonderful. I woke up around 11 and my boyfriend had come home from his first shift at work. We both wanted coffee and he had told me about this place downtown that made "coma inducing hot chocolate."

It's called the French Broad Chocolate Lounge, and it's off Lexington in downtown Asheville. I am still new to the area so I'm sure this is a treasured gem to everyone here in the know.

We get there, and it's this small storefront. Inside, it's not decorated as anything crazy. Might be a good place to work on your laptop or read a good book.
Off the bat, they are selling some amazing chocolates. I have always admired the Mast Brothers chocolate, but had never tried it and to my luck The Chocolate Lounge was selling a slew of it!
I of course picked the Almond and Sea Salt, and how could I not, look at this packaging..

I know! Adorable. We got a chocolate and pistachio covered shortbread that was perfectly buttery and just melted in your mouth, a cup of the "liquid truffle" in Buddha (which was their signature hot chocolate with Coconut Milk....oh mah gadfkfh), and for myself a hot latte and for Robert an iced latte.  Perfectly delicous!!!

Me and Robert spied a picture of some Ferrero Rocher cupcakes and he looked like a kid in a candy shop when he saw them, so the cogs had already started turning in my head about how I could make them. He dropped me off at home so he could go to his second shift and I immediately ran to the grocery store....without looking at recipes (D'OH!)
I know I know, I have an iphone, I could have googled it but I thought it would be funner to wing it, so heres MY recipe!

 
For the cupcake:
1 pkg. moist chocolate cake mix
1/2 small jar of nutella
1 package of any kind of chocolate covered wafers
     (this could be kit kats, fudge wafers, peanut butter wafers....whatever you desire!)
24 ferrero rocher chocolates, chopped in food processor or smashed in a ziplock baggie!

For the topping (ganache)
8 oz. heavy whipping cream
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped finely
1/2 small jar nutella





Prepare to bake your cupcakes (I find adding an extra egg to the recipe makes it richer), but before placing them into the oven, place 1/4 of the wafer bar into the center of the cupcake.
Remove your cupcakes from the baking tray and place them on a cooling rack. Allow to COMPLETELY cool.








For the Ganache 
Heat your heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan until it simmers, and let it simmer for about 3 minutes. Don't let it get all bubbly or foamy! Pour the heated cream over a bowl of the finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate and nutella. Allow it to sit for about two minutes, then patiently stir until it becomes a glossy, rich cream.
Take your cupcake with the wafer in the center and dip just the top into the ganache. Let the excess drip back into the bowl. Place on cooling rack again and let freshly frosted cupcakes sit for about 10 minutes.

Sprinkle your crushed Ferrero Rocher chocolates on top and VOILA!

So so so yummy. Recipe yields 24 delicious cupcakes!

Hope your saturday is as rich and decadent as these little masterpieces 

<3









0 comments:

 
Copyright © 2010 Chelsey Barnes, All rights reserved
You look absolutely beautiful // handsome today.